Life on a Different Planet Amazon review
January 2, 2021
Originally posted on Amazon
Save lives with this non-sugarcoated, punny climate crisis textbook/graphic novel for all ages!
Sometimes we should judge a book by its cover to see if they feature a person of color. This one does!
I dabble in psychology classes. Unlike many environmental books for youth that are coloring or activity workbooks or boring books for adults, this book applies research that shows that people are likely to recall what you said and try something new if you:
1. Are funny and talk about smelly things. Well, nothing is funnier than puns or stinkier than cow farts creating climate change.
2. Tell a story about how one person overcame hardship,
3. Are honest. This book says what some adults need the courage to say. It talks about how:
– Methane, such as from cow farts and refrigerant products like air conditioners and fridges, and carbon, can cause climate change.
– Some humans might not be better than other Earthlings.
I've worked in government and nonprofits for two decades to create a less-toxic, more sustainable world, and I think this is one of the most fun and memorable short books on problems and solutions for our climate crisis. Hint: the solution isn't just recycling! I also learned new things about not-so-innocent products like leaf blowers and lithium batteries.
Lastly, it's on paper certified by the…
– Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC), which some say is greener than ones below. (If you need wood products, ask for FSC-Recycled, not other FSC certifications.)
– Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
– Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC).
Walk the talk and buy it used or from your local bookstore!
Since it fits in a stocking, it'll be what everyone will get. My 12-year old friend approves.